SAFe® Release Train Engineer
Facilitating Lean-Agile Program Execution with Certified SAFe® Release Train Engineer
Facilitate and enable end-to-end value delivery through Agile Release Trains (ARTs)—and learn how to build a high-performing ART by becoming a servant leader and coach—when you become a SAFe® 5 Release Train Engineer (RTE).
During this three-day course, gain an in-depth understanding of the role and responsibilities of a Release Train Engineer (RTE) in the SAFe enterprise. Through experiential learning, examine the RTE role in a Lean- Agile transformation. Learn how to facilitate ART processes and execution, coach leaders, teams, and Scrum Masters in new processes and mindsets. Explore how to prepare, plan, and execute a Program Increment (PI) planning event, the primary enabler of alignment throughout all levels of a SAFe organization.
To perform the role of a SAFe® Release Train Engineer, attendees should be able to:
- Apply Lean-Agile knowledge and tools to execute and release value
- Assist with program and large solution execution
- Foster relentless improvement
- Build a high-performing ART by becoming a servant leader and coach
- Develop an action plan to continue the learning journey
What you get?
Becoming a Certified SAFe® Release Train Engineer requires an exceptional range of skills and is a career path for many servant leaders. Certification includes:
- Certified SAFe® Release Train Engineer PDF certificate
- Certified SAFe® Release Train Engineer digital badge to promote your accomplishment online
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform, which includes access to the RTE Community of Practice
- Access to Meetup groups and events that connect you with other SAFe Certified Professionals
- A variety of learning resources to support you during your SAFe journey.
The following prerequisites are highly recommended :
- Have participated in at least one ART and one PI
- Hold at least one current SAFe certification
- Exploring the RTE role and responsibilities
- Applying SAFe Principles
- Organizing the ART
- Planning a Program Increment
- Executing a Program Increment
- Fostering Relentless Improvement
- Serving the ART
- Continuing Your Learning Journey
Key areas of competency
- Facilitating program-level ceremonies
- Leading program execution
- Coaching Agile Release Trains (ARTs) and Agile Teams in relentless improvement of value delivery
- Creating transparency using metrics to initiate and drive positive change
- Facilitating resolution of dependencies, impediments, and risks
Learners taking this course are:
- Program or Project Manager
- Agile Coach
- SAFe Program Consultant
- IT Manager
- Product Manager
- Product Owner
- Solution Train Engineer
- Program Manager
The first step toward becoming a Certified SAFe® Release Train Engineer is to attend the SAFe® Release Train Engineer course. This is a requirement, because attending the course provides access to all the study materials and the exam. Note that attending the course does not guarantee passing the exam.
- Exam name – SAFe® 5 Release Train Engineer Exam
- Exam format – Multiple choice, multiple response
- Exam delivery – Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam access – Candidates can access to the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of your SAFe® Release Train Engineer course .
- Exam duration – Once the exam begins, candidates have 120 minutes (2 hours) to complete the exam.
- Number of questions – 60
- Passing score – 45 out of 60 (75%)
- Language – English
- Exam cost – First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Retake policy – Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait.
The exam is designed to measure knowledge and skill related to the job role. We highly recommend candidates use a variety of resources to prepare for this exam including:
- Course materials – The course materials are an essential artifact from the course and can be downloaded from the SAFe Community Platform. These materials can be used to refer back to the content that was presented during the class.
- Study guide – This comprehensive guide details the job role and all resources related to the exam, including a detailed reading list. Access is available through the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform upon course completion.
- Practice test – The practice test is designed to be predictive of success on the certification exam,* and it has the same number of questions, level of difficulty, and time duration. It is part of the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform and can be taken an unlimited number of times at no cost. *This is not the actual exam, and passing it does not guarantee success on the certification exam.
- Sample Questions – A web-enabled, flashcard style version of the sample questions can be found online and in the study guide.
Job role description/target audience
A Certified SAFe® Release Train Engineer (RTE) is a Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe) program servant leader and coaching professional responsible for driving end-to-end delivery of value in a single program or Value Stream in a Lean-Agile enterprise.